Hexoral for children: instructions for use
Sore throat, hoarseness, tickling and other symptoms of sore throat, acute respiratory infections, pharyngitis and some other diseases are often treated with local remedies. Such medicines are tablets and lozenges for sucking, means for irrigating the throat, solutions for rinsing. All of them reduce pain, moisturize and soften the mucous membrane. Hexoral also belongs to such drugs with local action. Can I use it for children and how to do it correctly?
The drug is presented in pharmacies in different forms.
It is a red clear liquid, smelling like mint. Since she is sweet, some parents call this form a syrup. The solution is placed in a glass bottle with a capacity of 200 ml and supplemented with a beaker.
This is a clear transparent liquid with menthol aroma placed inside an aluminum bottle. The package contains 1 spray nozzle, but also produces a spray for the family, in the package of which 4 nozzles of different colors are attached to the aerosol can.
Available in several versions. For example, Geksoral Tabs is round, rough, white (may be with a yellow or gray tint), bulging tablets on both sides. They may be unevenly colored, with uneven edges, air bubbles or a white bloom - these changes do not impair the properties of the drug. One pack contains 20 tablets.
Another view is Hexoral Tabs Classic. These tablets come in different flavors: lemon, orange, black currant, honey with lemon, they are packaged in packs of 8, 16, or 24 pieces.
Also in the assortment of the manufacturer there are tablets Hexoral tabs Extra. They are also available in 4 different flavors and are packed in boxes of 8-24 tablets.
The active substances in the liquid Hexoral and tableted medicine are different. The main component of the aerosol and solution, providing an antiseptic effect, is represented by hexatidine. The solution contains 0.1 g of such a substance per 100 ml of the preparation; therefore, its concentration is 0.1%. The concentration of the spray - 0.2%, that is, in 100 ml of the content is 0.2 g of hexatidine.
Additionally, the aerosol contains levomenthol, 96% ethanol, eucalyptus oil, citric acid, water, nitrogen, saccharinate and sodium hydroxide. This form also includes polysorbate 80 and calcium edetate sodium. Auxiliary components of the solution are anise oil, clove, eucalyptus and peppermint. In addition, this drug contains methyl salicylate, polysorbate 60, 96% ethanol, water, saccharin sodium, citric acid and levomenthol. The color of the solution is due to the dye E122 (azorubine).
Tablets contain several active substances. In Hexoral Tabs, this is benzocaine (1.5 mg per 1 tablet) and chlorhexidine in the form of dihydrochloride (5 mg per tablet). In addition to such ingredients, aspartame, isomalt, peppermint oil, water, menthol and thymol are in the medication.
Promotional video of the drug Hexoral:
In the composition of the tablets Classic dichlorobenzyl alcohol (1.2 mg per tablet) is supplemented with amylmetacresol (0.6 mg per 1 tablet). Auxiliary substances of any kind of this drug are sucrose, peppermint oil, dextrose and citric acid.Flavors and dyes in different tablets differ, for example, blackcurrant flavors, diamond blue and azorubine are present in blackcurrant, and quinoline yellow dye, anise oil and lemon oil concentrate in lemon.
In tablets Extra dichlorobenzyl alcohol and amylmetacresol are also present in the same concentration as in the Classic preparation; however, they are supplemented with lidocaine hydrochloride (10 mg per 1 tablet). Auxiliary components of this medication are practically the same as in tablets Classic.
Hexethidine in liquid form of the drug has an extensive spectrum of action against many bacteria, fungi and some viruses. Local treatment with such a drug leads to the suppression of metabolic reactions in the cells of pathogens. The drug is effective against candida, gram-positive microbes, PC-viruses, pseudomonads and many other infectious agents. Also, this antiseptic has some analgesic effect.
The effect of Geksoral Tabs can be seen already after 15-30 seconds after the tablet gets into the mouth.
The active substances of this medication are antiseptic and anesthetic, therefore the drug affects bacteria and simultaneously reduces pain symptoms. In tablets Classic, the active compounds have an antiseptic effect, and the drug Extra not only fights bacteria, but also reduces pain and swelling.
Topical administration of Hexoral is recommended:
- With stomatitis, periodontal disease, gingivitis, periodontal inflammation and other dental pathologies, as well as after removal of teeth and other surgical procedures in the mouth.
- For angina, laryngitis, pharyngitis, acute respiratory infections and other infectious and inflammatory lesions of the throat.
- In case of oral candidiasis.
- After injury or surgery on the larynx and tonsils.
- For hygienic treatment of the oral cavity with an unpleasant odor.
At what age is it allowed to take?
Liquid form medications are prohibited at the age of 3 years. Tablets are prescribed for children over 4 years old (Hexoral Tabs), 6 years old (Classic) and 12 years old (Extra). Rinse one year old child or spray aerosol at the age of 1 year is unacceptable.
Even if the child is already 3 years old, prescribe a solution or spray up to the age of six should only a doctor. The pediatrician will evaluate whether it is possible to carry out local treatment, and then determine the frequency of treatment. For example, the condition for the application of the solution is the absence of the risk of accidental ingestion (after rinsing the solution should be spit out), and to use the spray, the child must be able to hold his breath.
It is impossible to use the medicine in the treatment of children in the situation when the children's organism reacts to Hexoral with allergies or other side effects. Treatment is contraindicated in case of erosions or ulcers on the mucosa of the oropharynx. The solution should be used with caution in children with acetylsalicylic acid intolerance. Tablets are not used for phenylketonuria and low blood cholinesterase concentration.
Local treatment with a spray or solution in rare cases causes a burning sensation, irritation or inflammation. In some children, the drug changes the color of the tongue and teeth, and also provokes the formation of ulcers or bubbles on the mucous membrane. The resorption of tablets in addition to these symptoms can cause numbness of the tongue, taste disorders, decreased sensitivity in the mouth and the appearance of tartar.
Very rarely, the use of Hexoral leads to the appearance of shortness of breath, urticaria, vomiting, cough and other symptoms.If such a negative reaction to treatment is detected in a small patient, the drug is canceled and the doctor is consulted about symptomatic treatment and replacement of the remedy.
Instructions for use and dosage
- The solution is poured into a measuring cup in an amount of 15 ml, and then rinsing is done to a child over six years old (for example, at the age of 7 years) two or three times a day. Dilution with water does not require medication, and the duration of the procedure should be at least 30 seconds. In addition, the solution can make lotions. To do this, the drug is applied to the swab and applied to the place requiring treatment for 2-3 minutes.
- Spray in the treatment of children over 6 years old is used twice a day. Processing is carried out after a meal. For spraying onto the cylinder, the nozzle is installed, and then, holding the bottle vertically, the nozzle should be inserted into the oral cavity and sent to the place that should be processed. Having asked the child to hold his breath, press the head of the nozzle and in 1-2 seconds inject the spray into the oropharynx.
- Geksoral tabs should be resolved for a long time in the oral cavity until the tablet is completely dissolved by saliva. A child at the age of 4-12 years old is prescribed 4 tablets per day, and up to 8 tablets per day can be given to children over 12 years old. It is possible to dissolve the drug one tablet every 1-2 hours.
- The drug Classic is prescribed to a child over six years old by one tablet. It is permissible to dissolve it with an interval of 2-3 hours, but not more than eight tablets per day.
- Extra tablets are also prescribed up to 8 pieces per day. It is possible to dissolve such a medicine for children over 12 years old every 2-3 hours, 1 tablet.
- How many days to take the drug should be agreed with the doctor, because with some pathologies, several days of local treatment are enough, while others require long-term use.
Excess doses of spray or solution can cause toxic alcohol intoxication. With an overdose of tablets, benzocaine in their composition can have a toxic effect on the central nervous system, which is manifested by vomiting, seizures, or tremors, and then depression and coma. With a very high dose of the drug, methemoglobinemia, bradycardia, or cardiac arrest are possible.
If a child has swallowed a lot of the drug and it has been detected within two hours after the incident, you should flush the stomach and then consult a doctor. If the condition is severe, the baby will need hospital treatment.
Interaction with other drugs
In the annotations to the aerosol and solution there is no information about the impossibility of combining such drugs with other drugs. Tablets are not recommended to be combined with aminosalicylates and sulfonamides, since benzocaine has the property to reduce their antibacterial effect. When combining tablets with medicines that contain calcium, zinc, magnesium, polysorbate 80 or sucrose salts, the effect of chlorhexidine will be blocked.
Terms of sale
Any form of Hexoral is a non-prescription drug. The average price of a pack of tablets is 160-180 rubles, one bottle of solution is about 240-260 rubles, and one bottle of spray is about 300 rubles.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store the spray, tablets or home solution at a temperature of up to +25 degrees. Keep the medicine out of the reach of children. With the storage of aerosol must be especially careful. Since the contents of the container are under pressure, it is prohibited to open the package or burn the bottle, even if the liquid has been completely consumed.
The shelf life of the solution is up to 2 years from the date of production, aerosol and tablets Geksoral Tabs - 3 years, Classic and Extra tablets - 4 years. As soon as the spray was used for the first time, the balloon can be stored for no longer than 6 months. Six months after the first use, the drug should be discarded, even if the contents still remain.
Moms who used Hexoral in their children leave mostly good reviews about this medicine. In them, they mention high efficacy for pain and sore throat. Most often, a solution or spray is chosen for treatment.
Parents praise the liquid form for ease of use and rare side effects. According to moms, allergies, burning and other negative symptoms occur on hexatidine very rarely. The taste of the medicine is well tolerated by most children, but sometimes it is not pleasant. The cost of the drug, many mothers say is acceptable, but sometimes they prefer the means cheaper.
Replace Hexoral in liquid form can be other drugs, including hexatidine:
- 0.1% solution or 0.2% Stopangin aerosol. The drug can be used from 6 years.
- Stomatidine solution used for rinsing from the age of five.
- 0.2% spray Maxicold ENT, which can treat children older than 3 years.
Also, for local treatment, the doctor may recommend other products that are classified as antiseptics and antimicrobials. Among them are Ingalipt, Miramistin, Tantum Verde, Yoks, Oralcept, Lugol, Hexasprey and other drugs. Any of these drugs has its own nuances of use, so it’s better to choose an analogue together with a doctor.
Surely you will be interested to know what Dr. Komarovsky thinks about such a disease in children as sore throat: