How old can you give blueberries to your child?
In the summer, every mother thinks about giving a crumb to fresh, tasty berries, such as healthy blueberries. But in order for such a berry to bring only a little benefit to the baby, it is worth knowing more about its properties, the optimal time of introduction to complementary foods, the features of cooking for children and other nuances.
- Blueberries are a source of many vitamins (B1, PP, E, C, B2, A) and minerals (calcium, iron, potassium, manganese), so it is recommended for the prevention of seasonal vitamin A and vitamin A.
- Ripe berries are rich in tannins and organic acids, as well as natural antioxidants.
- Blueberries have an antiseptic, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effect, so this berry is in demand for colds and inflammatory processes in the upper respiratory tract.
- Eating blueberries improves brain function, protects the child’s body from viral infections and reduces blood glucose levels.
- Bilberry helps with food poisoning, detrimental effect on harmful bacteria.
- Fresh berries are shown for constipation, and dried berries will help get rid of diarrhea.
- Blueberry decoction is useful for dysbacteriosis, because it supports normal microflora.
- Blueberries can be a tasty prevention of obesity, diabetes and diseases of the cardiovascular system, as well as cancer processes.
- Due to the presence in the composition of blueberry anthocyanins, its fruits improve vision, affecting the blood circulation in the retina and visual acuity. Such berries are especially useful for children with myopia or high loads on the organ of vision.
- Bilberry has a diuretic effect, so it is indicated for inflammation of the kidneys or the formation of kidney stones.
- Bilberry rarely causes allergic reactions.
You can learn more about the beneficial properties of blueberries by watching the program “Live Healthy”.
- Bilberry is contraindicated in children with pancreatic diseases, as well as in pathologies of the biliary tract.
- Dried blueberries can not be eaten with constipation.
- Occasionally, blueberry intolerance occurs.
- Berry is contraindicated in the detection of oxalate in the urine.
From what age can you put in complementary foods?
Babies up to one year old can try blueberries for the first time at 7 months of age, provided there are no problems with the chair.
In what form to give?
Bilberry is introduced into the child ration in ground form (it is added to fruit puree), as well as in the form of juices. Whole berries can be treated to kids older than a year, allowing you to eat on the day from 1/2 to a glass. Children older than 3 years can eat from 1 to 2 cups of blueberries per day, if such a berry is well tolerated.
Blueberries are also often added to yogurts, cottage cheese, pies, desserts, jellies and other dishes.
How to make mashed blueberries?
Berries need to sort and wash under running water, then pour over the blueberries with boiling water. Scalded berries for grinding placed in a blender or fray through a sieve. For the first samples of blueberry puree sugar is not added to the product.
What is Blueberry Forte?
So called dietary supplement, the main component of which is blueberry extract. It is supplemented with zinc and vitamins, therefore it is recommended as a tonic. Supplement is assigned to children older than 3 years, but most often in demand for schoolchildren experiencing long-term loads on their eyesight. The drug is able to protect the eyes of children from high loads and accelerate recovery from inflammatory eye diseases.
Tips for choosing
Buy for the child evenly colored whole berries, the surface of which is flat and dry.
Blueberries should be firm, sweet and odorless. If the berries are pink or pale, they are collected too early and have not yet had time to ripen.
Fresh blueberries should be stored in the refrigerator in an open container no more than 5-7 days.
How to prepare for the winter?
To save the berries for a longer time, blueberries can grind with the addition of the same amount of sugar. This product is placed in a jar with a lid and kept in the refrigerator. If it is cooked for 5-10 minutes, then some of the vitamins will be lost, but the product can be stored all winter.
In addition, blueberries can be dried and frozen. If drying is planned, the berries are laid out in the sun for 2-3 hours, and then placed in an electric dryer or oven. Such dried blueberries can be stored for up to two years. To freeze the berries do not wash, but only cleared of leaves and debris. Frozen blueberries stored for up to one year.
What to do if you are allergic?
If an allergic reaction to the first samples of bilberry is detected, the berry should be immediately excluded from the diet. You can try giving blueberries again in a few months. If the allergy is severe, the child should be shown to the pediatrician for the appointment of a suitable treatment.