From what age can you give cranberries to children?
Cranberry is one of the most useful berries to help cope with various diseases or prevent them. But in order for the little ones to benefit from it only, it is necessary to introduce such a berry into their diet correctly.
- It is a source of many vitamins, among which there are vitamins E, C, groups B, K, PP, A.
- The berries contain a lot of phosphorus, iron, potassium, and calcium.
- Its use helps to strengthen the defenses of the child’s body, preventing colds.
- Beneficial at high temperatures, since it has diaphoretic and detoxification properties.
- The presence of natural phenols in the composition causes its bactericidal action.
- She noted the diuretic effect, so this berry is recommended for diseases of the urinary tract, including bacterial infections.
- Due to the large amount of pectins, its use contributes to the excretion of radioactive compounds and other toxic substances from the body.
- Pectins contained in cranberries also have a positive effect on digestion.
- Morse or jelly from such a berry has the ability to quickly quench your thirst.
- Berry has an astringent effect, so it helps with diarrhea.
More on the benefits can be found in the following video.
Watch the program “Live Healthy”, in which you will know when to use it.
- Contraindicated in diseases of the liver, as well as with peptic ulcer and gastritis with high acidity.
- Use in large quantities can harm the enamel of the teeth.
- Some children have an allergic reaction.
From what age can you put in complementary foods?
The introduction of cranberries, as well as other berries, in the children's diet, is performed after the baby gets used to the vegetable puree and cereals. This often occurs from the age of 6 months in infant-fed infants and from 7.5 months in breastfed babies. If the crumbs have a tendency to allergies, familiarity with the cranberries are postponed until the age of one.
In what form to give?
Children less than a year old give cranberries only in a thermally processed form.. Berries are immersed in boiling water for a minute or boiled for 2-3 minutes. Then a few berries rubbed and added to fruit or vegetable puree. Also children make fruit drinks, compotes, juices and jelly from it.
This berry is included in the weekly diet of the child 1-2 times. At the age of 1-3 years, the optimal portion will be 10-20 g of cranberries per day. Fresh berries offer baby from 3 years of age. A child can eat cranberries with sugar or use it in drinks, smoothies or desserts.
How to make a drink?
For 500 g of cranberries, you will need about 1500 ml of water. From the washed berries squeeze the juice and set it aside, and the remaining squeeze is poured with water, then brought to a boil. Sugar is added to the broth to taste, boil again and filter. After cooling, it is mixed with the previously squeezed juice. To determine the maximum daily portion of such cranberry juice, you must multiply the child's age in months by 10 ml.
How to cook jelly?
- Take 4 tablespoons of cranberries, rinse and pour boiling water, then mash with a spoon.
- Separately, boil 2 glasses of water, cool a quarter glass and stir 2 teaspoons of starch in this water.
- Combine the remaining water with mashed cranberries, bring to a boil and strain.
- In the cranberry decoction, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and pour the diluted starch.
- Putting the drink on the fire, stir constantly until thick.
Tips for choosing
It is best to buy cranberries in the fall, since this is its ripening season. Choose elastic berries of bright color without damage. Refuse to buy overly soft or shriveled berries.
Fresh berries should be stored in the refrigerator in an open container for no longer than a week.
How to prepare for the winter?
To prepare your child healthy meals and drinks with cranberries in winter, the berry can be:
- To freeze. Cranberries are not washed, but only cleared of visible debris, and then sent to the freezer.
- To dry After several hours of drying in the sun, the berries are placed in a special dryer or in the oven.
- Grind with sugar 1: 1. So it can be stored in a closed jar in the refrigerator.
- Keep in the fridge, fill the berries with water or syrup. This method of preparation is suitable only for cranberries, which are collected before the first frost.
What to do if you are allergic?
If the first cranberry samples ended with the appearance of rash, redness, nausea, swelling in the face, rhinitis, and other signs of intolerance, the berry is immediately excluded from the child's diet. Turning to the doctor, the child is given an antihistamine prescribed by a doctor. Try to put in the supplements again advised no earlier than a year.