At what age can you give a bow to a child?
Onions have long been considered a useful product, but the introduction of this vegetable in the children's menu raises concerns and questions among parents. So that he does not harm the health of the baby, mothers should learn more about the value of such a vegetable crop for a child’s body, the optimal timing of acquaintance and some other features of its use.
- It acts as a source of vitamins B1, E, C, B3 and beta-carotene. There are many minerals (calcium, sodium, copper, cobalt phosphorus), essential oils and fiber.
- Due to the content of flavonoids, it is able to strengthen the vascular walls and prevent tumor processes.
- In raw onions, they note a property to increase appetite and stimulate the secretion of digestive juices, as well as mucus in the bronchi.
- The use of the product in its raw form stimulates metabolic processes and normalizes the bowels.
- Heat-treated onion does not irritate the gastrointestinal tract, normalizes stool, has a beneficial effect on the work of the heart and the level of glucose in the blood.
- Chewing green onions has a positive effect on the condition of the teeth and oral cavity, destroying harmful bacteria.
On the benefits of green onions, see the program "Live healthy."
- Fresh is a spicy product that can irritate the mucous membranes of the digestive tract.
- In its raw form, it is quite hard, so it should be given to children who can chew such a product well, or chop it thoroughly for a child.
- In boiled onions there are no phytoncides and partially lost vitamins.
- Green onions should not be used in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys and liver.
- And onions, and green onions should not be taken with asthma.
- Fresh onions can cause an allergic reaction, but, as a rule, they are consumed without allergies.
That is more useful: green onions or bulb, look in the program "To live healthy."
From how many months can you put in feed?
Acquaintance with bulb onions is recommended at the age of 7-8 months, when the child tries vegetable supplements. This is a heat-treated product.
Raw onions, as well as green onions are introduced into the children's menu after 3 years in the absence of diseases of the digestive tract.
In what form to give?
Children younger than one year old give onions only in boiled form, adding such vegetables to mashed other vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, pumpkins or potatoes.
Raw onions for children over 3 years old are added to salads, first and second courses. Per day it can be consumed in the amount of not more than one medium onion, which is divided into 2-4 meals.
- Baked. The onion is smeared with olive oil and baked for 40 minutes in the oven. This product has a soft and very pleasant taste.
- Stuffed. The filling for the bulbs can be both vegetable and meat, for example, from minced turkey. Washed and peeled from the inside of the bulbs filled with filling and steamed or baked in the oven. Top stuffed onions can be sprinkled with cheese.
- Omelette.Most often for such dishes use green onions. It is finely chopped, poured with a beaten egg with a small amount of milk and baked in the oven or fried in a pan.
- Salads Onions are often an ingredient in a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes, seasoned with sour cream. Also chopped onions can be added to salads of boiled vegetables - beets, carrots, potatoes.
Tips for choosing
Red and white onions are more suitable for feeding the child, as he is less spicy and has a more pleasant taste than yellow varieties. Also, children can cook leeks, which have no sharp taste or irritating smell.
Choosing onions, buy a dense head with dry intact husk, without green feathers and any dark areas. Buying green onions, pay attention to the freshness of the product.
Use in traditional medicine
Raw onions are often used to treat coughing, mixing it with sugar / honey and milk. This tool is permissible to use in children older than 3 years after meals. It has a tonic and immunostimulating effect, enhances the secretion of bronchial glands and eliminates dry cough.
Onion juice is known as an effective remedy for rhinitis and ear pain, but this use of this vegetable in childhood is strictly contraindicated because of the high risk of mucosal burns.
To eliminate a runny nose or use it as a disease prevention during a flu epidemic, it is acceptable to use onions for inhalation. To do this, the bulbs are cut and laid out in the room in which the sick child resides. The effect is only from a fresh vegetable, so it is changed every two to three hours.