When can I give baby white cabbage?
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower are included in the children's menu as early as the first year of life, but most mothers are afraid of white cabbage. Is it possible to introduce this vegetable in baby feeding, how is it useful and how to cook it for a child?
This vegetable, which is well-stored in our latitude, contains useful vitamin and mineral substances, in particular, phosphorus, calcium, ascorbic acid and B vitamins.
In addition, it has other advantages:
- It belongs to hypoallergenic products.
- This is a low-calorie product that can be included in the menu of an overweight child.
- When fresh, it stimulates the production of enzymes and intestinal motility.
- Sour cabbage is rich in vitamins C, A and group B.
You can learn more about the benefits from the “Live Healthy” program.
- Due to the content of coarse fiber, it can irritate the gastrointestinal mucosa.
- Consuming large amounts leads to abdominal pain, flatulence and problems with the stool.
- Although rare, there may be allergies.
- Sauerkraut contains vinegar, which can harm children's digestive tract.
- Due to the increased content of histamine in sauerkraut, its use can lead to a pseudo-allergic reaction (there are signs of allergy).
From what age can I give?
- White cabbage can be given to a child younger than a year, but only after meeting with other vegetables - zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, pumpkin, potatoes, broccoli and others. Adding cabbage to vegetable dishes for a child is advised not earlier than 7-8 months of age.
- In fresh form, it can be included in the menu of a child from 3 years of age, provided that the baby does not have diseases of the digestive tract, such as gastritis or pancreatitis. In addition, the child must chew food well enough to eat.
- A stump is considered to be a harmful food, since various harmful compounds accumulate in it during the ripening of the vegetable. For this reason, children cannot be given a stalk.
- In fermented form, it is permissible in the diet of children older than 3 years, but in small quantities.
Enter into the diet
To acquaint the child with white cabbage without harm to his health, you should add a little of this vegetable in a multi-component mashed potatoes and watch the reaction of the toddler to this food. If the child transferred this product normally, the next time its amount in mashed potatoes can be slightly increased. If any symptoms of intolerance occur, the introduction to supplemental foods should be postponed.
Independent cabbage dishes for children under one year old are not cooked. Vegetables are added to mashed potatoes with other types of cabbage, carrots and other vegetables, and they also prepare pureed soup.Children older than a year can cook stewed cabbage, as well as steam cabbage chops, vegetable stews, cabbage rolls and other dishes. Toddlers over 3 years old are preparing fresh salads, soups, casseroles and much more.
Tips for choosing
Buying cabbage for a child, carefully inspect the head. Do not take the vegetable with cracked and bruised areas, as well as with exfoliated leaves. Buy a product with not thick leaves of uniform color. To touch the vegetable must be strong and firm.
What is more useful - white or cauliflower - You can find out by watching the program “Live Healthy”.