"Nexium" for children: instructions for use
In the treatment of diseases of the stomach often use drugs that reduce the production of hydrochloric acid. One of them is a drug known company "AstraZeneca" called "Nexium". The drug is usually prescribed to adults with duodenal ulcer or stomach ulcer, but sometimes it is prescribed to children.
Forms of release
Nexium is available in three dosage forms.
- Suspension. This option is prescribed to children most often. Inside the portion bags of such “Nexium” there is not a liquid, but yellow granules and pellets. Before use, they are diluted with water to form a yellowish, sweet suspension. In one box is 28 sachets.
- Pills. They have an oblong convex shape and have a pink shell. This medicine is presented in two dosages, marked on one side of the tablet (“20mG” or “40mG”). The drug is packaged in blisters of 7 pieces and sold in packs from 7 to 28 tablets.
- Injections. This type of Nexium is a lyophilized vial of white compressed mass, which is diluted with saline before injection. One pack contains 10 bottles.
All forms of Nexium act on the digestive system thanks to an ingredient called esomeprazole. In one package for suspension, it is contained in a dose of 10 mg and supplemented with giprolozy, sucrose, dextrose, crospovidone and several other substances. In one pill there is 20 or 40 mg of esomeprazole, and there are also such auxiliary components as macrogol, hypromellose, paraffin. In one vial of the lyophilisate is 40 mg of the active substance, to which sodium hydroxide and edetate disodium are added.
The main component of Nexium affects the cells of the stomach, inhibiting the proton pump - a special enzyme responsible for the secretion of hydrochloric acid. The result of this mechanism of action will be a decrease in the production of gastric juice, which has been observed for an hour after taking the medicine. This contributes to the healing of esophagitis and ulcers, if they are caused by increased acidity and reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus.
The only indication for the use of Nexium in childhood is a pathology called gastroesophageal reflux disease (it is abbreviated to GERD). It is also called reflux esophagitis, because with this disease the contents of the stomach (including hydrochloric acid) enters the esophagus, which causes inflammation and erosion. In other diseases of the digestive tract, this medicine is not given to children.
From what age is prescribed?
Injections and suspensions “Nexium” are prescribed for children over one year old with patient weight over 10 kg, and in tablet form from 12 years. Such medicine is contraindicated for babies of the first year of life.
If a child is over a year old, but his weight is low (less than 10 kg), then Nexium is also not used.
Nexium is not prescribed to children who have a hypersensitivity to any component of the drug. Suspension and tablets are also not used in patients with fructose intolerance, glucose malabsorption and similar pathologies.
For serious kidney disease, medication is given with caution.
During treatment with Nexium, a negative reaction to the medicine in the form of headaches, constipation, urticaria, nausea, flatulence and other symptoms may occur.When they occur, you should consult with your doctor to replace the drug analogue.
Instructions for use
The form of the drug is selected depending on the condition of the child and his age:
- if a child is from one year to 12 years old, then he is often given a liquid Nexium;
- with vomiting, the suspension is replaced with injections, but as soon as the condition improves, they immediately switch to ingestion;
- If a child older than 12 years old cannot swallow a tablet preparation, he can be given Nexium in suspension.
To prepare the suspension, it is necessary to pour non-carbonated water into a glass and pour pellets and granules into it. For dilution of powder from one sachet take 15 ml of liquid. Having stirred the medicine and letting the little patient drink it, you need to add some more water to the glass so that the child can finish the rest of the medicine.
Chew pellets with granules or chop them in another way can not. This recommendation applies to the tablet product. “Nexium” tablets are best swallowed with water, if it is difficult for the patient to do this, it is permissible to dissolve one tablet in 100 ml of non-carbonated water and drink the resulting suspension.
The dosage of the drug is determined based on both the age and weight of the child:
- if the body weight of the baby is from 10 to 20 kg, then a single dose will be 10 mg;
- with a body weight of more than 20 kg at the age of 1-11 years, the drug is given in 10 or 20 mg per dose;
- from the age of 12, a single dosage is increased to 40 mg, but supportive therapy can be carried out at 20 mg.
With GERD, the medication in suspension is taken once a day, and the course of treatment can last up to 8 weeks. The lyophilisate diluted with saline is injected into the vein in a jet or through an IV drip.
Terms of sale and storage
All Nexium dosage forms are sold by prescription. One pack of sachets for the preparation of a suspension costs about 2000-2600 rubles, and for 14 tablets with a dosage of 20 mg you need to pay about 1400-1500 rubles.
The shelf life of the lyophilisate is 2 years, oral forms are 3 years. Storage of the medicine is recommended at room temperature in a place hidden from sunlight. A suspension prepared from sachets or a tablet dissolved in water can be stored for up to 30 minutes.
Nexium is referred to as an effective medicine that helps eliminate unpleasant symptoms and speeds recovery in children with reflux disease. The suspension is praised for its pleasant taste and use in childhood. The main disadvantage of the drug is its high price.
There are medicines with the same active substance that can be used instead of Nexium.
- A drug "Emanera" from the company "KRKA". It is represented by capsules that are given to children over 12 years old.
- Domestic analog "Esomeprazole Canon". It is produced only in tablets in the shell, therefore, also not prescribed to children under 12 years old.
- Medicine "Neo-sext"manufactured by Sandoz. These are also coated tablets used in patients over 12 years old.
About gastritis, heartburn, ulcers, as well as how to properly and how not to treat the stomach, see the following video.