Otofag for children: instructions for use
“Otofag” is prescribed by ENT physicians both for various bacterial infections of the nose, throat and ears, and for their prevention. Such a tool is considered safe and effective by specialists, therefore, it is used in both adult patients and young children.
Release form and composition
"Otofag" is produced in the form of a gel, which is sold in bottles equipped with a dispenser. One pack contains 50 ml of clear gel-like medicine. The active ingredients of the drug are phage particles represented by 32 species of bacteriophages. They are contained in saline solution, to which nipazol, carbopol, purified water and calendula extract are added.
The bacteriophages present in the gel help to normalize the microflora, as well as to treat or prevent purulent infections of the ears, nose or throat. They are able to inhibit the growth of 12 types of bacteria that most often affect the ENT area. These include:
- protei vulgaris;
- moraccella cataris;
- esherichia if;
- pyogenic streptococci;
- morganella blinking;
- Providence Rettgera;
- Staphylococcus aureus;
- haemophilus sticks;
- pseudomonas sticks.
By contributing to the destruction of pathogens, Otophage active substances do not adversely affect the normal flora of the nasopharynx.
"Otofag" is recommended by experts in such cases.
- If the child has been diagnosed with rhinitis, sinusitis, otitis, laryngitis, inflammation of the adenoids and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract provoked by bacteria. In such a situation, it is advised to use the remedy at the onset of the first symptoms in order to stop the development of the disease at the very beginning and to avoid using more serious drugs (for example, antibiotics).
- If the patient has chronic diseases of the ear, nose, or throat. In such diseases, the use of Otophag will be a good prevention of relapse, and if the child has an exacerbation, the use of the gel will help reduce the risk of complications.
- If the child is sick with ARVI. In this case, Otofag is also used prophylactically to prevent the adherence of a bacterial infection.
- If there are factors due to which the risk of infection of the ears, nose or throat is increased. Such factors include diabetes mellitus, decreased immunity, cancer pathology, autoimmune diseases, fungal infections, and so on.
- If the crop showed the presence of Staphylococcus aureus in the nose or throat of a child. "Otofag" helps get rid of such bacteria, so that the patient ceases to be their carrier and source of infection for other children.
- If the child has to undergo some kind of medical manipulation or surgery on the ENT organs, for example, removal of the adenoids. In such cases, the gel is used prophylactically as a means against infectious complications in the postoperative period.
From what age is prescribed?
The use of "Otofag" in children is possible from birth. If necessary, this remedy is prescribed even for newborn babies and infants younger than a year. The gel is in demand in the practice of pediatricians and ENTs, as it allows to prevent serious infections and avoid treatment with antibiotics.
But, despite the harmlessness, the use of "Otofag" in children is recommended only by appointment of a specialist.
The drug is not used if the child has a hypersensitivity to any component of the gel. In addition, it is impossible to treat "Otofagom" inflamed areas that do not have the possibility of exudate outflow (for example, a sutured wound), since this will cause a massive death of bacteria and increase swelling.
In rare cases, Otofag can cause rashes and other symptoms of intolerance. Swallowing the drug does not have a harmful effect and does not harm the child's body.
Instructions for use
The gel is treated areas of the mucous membrane, applying the drug directly from the bottle or with a gauze cloth. You can also use a spatula, cotton swab or gauze swab for processing. Do not rinse off about 40 minutes after use.
The reason for administration influences the dosage and regimen of use of Otophag
- If the drug is used for otitis, rhinitis, adenoiditis, sore throat, sinusitis, pharyngitis or laryngitis, then in the first two days the gel is injected with one touch 3-4 times a day. From the third to the fifth day of application, the product is applied 2-3 times, and from the fifth day, it is used twice. The duration of such treatment is most often up to 14 days.
- If a child has a risk of exacerbation of chronic pathologies of upper respiratory tract or there is a possibility of bacterial complications, for example, in case of SARS or autoimmune disease, then gel treatment is performed 2-3 times a day. One use provides for one click, and the duration of use for prevention is not limited.
- When a Staphylococcus aureus is found in the child's nasopharynx, the remedy is inserted into the nasal passages by pressing twice a day. In such a situation, “Otofag” is used for 7 days.
- If the gel is prescribed during manipulations or operations in the area of the nose, ears or throat, then the doctor determines the dosage of the drug. Usually the product is applied a few days before the procedure, as well as 7 days after it.
Spout the dispenser after applying the gel should be wiped off the remnants of the drug, and then tightly close the cap.
According to the manufacturer, Otofag can be used with any antibiotic. However, the combined use with some antiseptics is not recommended, for example, with a solution of hydrogen peroxide or with preparations based on povidone-iodine.
Terms of sale and storage
It is not required to take a prescription from a doctor for the acquisition of Otofag, but an ENT examination is desirable. The cost of one bottle of gel in different pharmacies ranges from 800 to 1200 rubles. Store “Otofag” at home in the refrigerator, however, the manufacturer admits the possibility of short-term storage at temperatures up to +25 degrees, but after that the medication should be used for 60 days. The shelf life of the gel is 24 months.
Most reviews of Otofage call such an effective replacement for antibiotics and good prevention of diseases of the nose, ears and throat. Moms confirm that the drug helped prevent diseases of the upper respiratory tract or accelerate recovery. The advantages include a convenient dispenser, safety for children and good tolerance.
Among the disadvantages most often mention the high price, as well as the need to store in the refrigerator.
Fully similar to "Otofagu" means do not produce, so if necessary, to replace this gel with a similar drug, doctors use different antiseptic agents, for example, "Miramistin», «Tantum Verde», «Lizobact, Oralcept, Chlorhexidine or Hexoral. All these drugs differ in composition and dosage forms (among them there are solutions, sprays, lozenges, and so on), and also have different age restrictions, so the choice of analogue should be made together with a specialist.
In addition, both for prophylactic purposes and for treatment, it is possible to use other bacteriophages, for example, Staphylococcal or Sexttaphagous.Such solutions contain microorganisms destroyed by phages and differ in their selective influence only on those bacteria that are in their composition. They can be used from birth, but are appointed only after determining the sensitivity.
For information on how to properly take "Otofag", see the following video.