Pyobacteriophages for children: instructions for use
If a patient has a bacterial infection, an antibiotic is often prescribed, but viruses called phages can be used in the treatment of pathologies caused by pathogenic bacteria.
With their help, drugs are created with a selective effect on certain microorganisms. They contain phagolysates of bacteria, i.e. purified phage microbial cells. One of these drugs are "Phiobacteriophages." They are often included in the complex treatment of purulent infections, including in children.
Release form and composition
"Piobacteriophages" are produced by the Russian company Microgen, which also manufactures other immunobiological preparations.
Currently, the bacteriophage with the prefix "pio" is represented by two means:
- "Pyobacteriophage complex";
- "Pyobacteriophage polyvalent Sexttag".
Both drugs are solutions, packaged in sterile glass vials of 20 ml. "Comprehensive Pyobacteriophage" is sold for 8 of these bottles in a pack, and is additionally produced in a larger package (bottles of 100 ml, which sell 1 piece each). "Sexttag" is presented in packs of 4 and 10 flakonchik. The solution itself is clear, yellowish or greenish.
The main difference between these two drugs is their composition, in particular, the list of microbes destroyed by bacteriophages, which are the active ingredient of the solution.
In the "Sexttag", as the name implies, contains 6 types of microorganisms:
- pathogenic Escherichia coli;
- blue pus bacillus;
- Klebsiella pneumonia.
They are also present in the “Piobacteriophage Complex”, but this medicine additionally contains destroyed enterococci and Klebsiella oxytococcus. Auxiliary component of both drugs is 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate (preservative). The effect of such drugs on the body, the indications for their use and even the dosage are the same, so the information will continue to apply to both means.
Microbes destroyed by phages, which are located in “Piobacteriophage”, contribute to the destruction of precisely those types and strains of bacteria from which they were obtained.
This means that Sexttaphagus affects strepto-and staphylococcus, two types of proteus and klebsiella pneumonia, as well as intestinal and blue-pus bacilli. "Complex Pyobacteriophage" is also effective against enterococci and Klebsiell oxytoc.
The reason to prescribe "Piobacteriophage" may be:
- otitis media, bronchitis, sore throat, rhinitis, tracheitis, sinusitis and other infections of the respiratory system;
- furuncle, panaritium, abscess and other bacterial infections of the skin, bones and soft tissues;
- purulent complications of skin lesions (burns, wounds, etc.);
- cystitis, urethritis and other lesions of urogenital organs by bacteria;
- purulent eye infections;
- intestinal infection;
- generalized bacterial infections and so on.
Prophylactic application of the solutions is required for external treatment of injuries of the skin and sutures after surgery. In addition, drugs are prescribed to prevent nosocomial infection, if there is such a risk.
From what age is prescribed?
You can use "Piobacteriophage" in children at any age. This medication is used even in newborns, for example, in sepsis, pyoderma, conjunctivitis, or omphalitis.
However, the drug must be prescribed by a doctor after determining the sensitivity of the pathogen.
Treatment with "Piobacteriophage" is prohibited if the patient has revealed hypersensitivity to any component of the solution. No other contraindications are indicated for such drugs.
According to information from the manufacturer, no side effects "Piobacteriophage" does not provoke. However, in rare cases, after taking the solution, a skin rash or diarrhea can occur, and in the babies of the first months of life, regurgitation may occur. These negative symptoms should immediately tell your doctor.
Instructions for use
To obtain the desired effect, it is important to follow some rules for the use of Piobacteriophage.
- Since the medicine is stored in the refrigerator, before giving it to the baby, the solution should be slightly warmed up, holding the syringe in hands or typing in some time (no more than 1 hour).
- Before using the solution, shake and check its transparency. When turbidity occurs, the medication should be thrown away. To prevent other microbes from getting inside the bottle, it is best to take the drug with a syringe and rub the cork and hands with alcohol.
- Most often, "Piobacteriophage" is used inside. The remedy is given to the child three times or four times a day, 1 hour before the feedings. The duration of oral administration is from one week to 20 days - the duration of treatment for a particular patient is determined by the doctor.
- If the drug is prescribed to a newborn, then the required dose of the solution is diluted with boiled water of 1: 2. In the absence of negative reactions and good tolerance after a few days, the agent can be given undiluted. If the baby refuses to drink "Piobacteriophage" in its pure form, it is permissible to add some mother's milk to the medicine.
- In addition to ingestion, the drug is often used in the form of enemas. This method is prescribed to children with enterocolitis, vomiting, regurgitation, sepsis and other problems. Rectal administration of the solution involves a high enema (it is performed through a catheter or using a vapor tube). The duration of such treatment is usually 7-10 days.
- "Piobacteriophages" are also used externally, for example, they make lotions with suppuration of an umbilical wound or irrigate burnt skin. With the defeat of the conjunctiva, the agent drips into the eyes, with rhinitis and adenoids - into the nose, and with stomatitis and throat lesions, rinses and inhalations are prescribed. Surgeons, if necessary, inject such drugs into the cavity, for example, inside the joint or into the pleural cavity.
- To determine a single dosage, it is important to know the age of the patient. The recommended dose for oral administration as well as for administration to the rectum is noted in the table in the instructions for “Pyobacteriophages”. For example, infants up to 6 months should be given 5 ml of medication inside, and 10 ml of solution is used for the enema.
- For prophylactic use, age dosages are used, but medication is given only once a day. The duration of such a reception should be checked with the doctor for each patient separately.
Overdose and drug interactions
Cases of overdose "piobacteriophage" has not yet been. If you exceed the dose, it is recommended to monitor the patient and use standard measures. The drugs are compatible with any other medicines, including antibiotics.
If Pyobacteriophage is used externally and the skin is treated with an antiseptic before applying it, then it is necessary to rinse the surface with saline before use.
Terms of sale and storage
"Piobacteriophages" are sold without a prescription and are presented in most Russian pharmacies.The cost of the drug is affected by the volume of solution in the bottle and the number of bottles in the pack. For four bottles of "Sekstafaga" or the same package of "Piobacteriophage Complex" you need to pay about 700 rubles.
A low temperature (up to +8 degrees) is necessary for the storage of drugs, so the medicine should be at home in the refrigerator. The shelf life of both drugs is 2 years. If it has expired, the drug must be discarded, even if the solution is still clear.
About the use of "Piobacteriophage" in children, you can see a lot of good reviews. In them, parents confirm the effectiveness of the solutions when infected with staphylococcus, intestinal rods and other microbes. The advantages of drugs include the possibility of treating children of any age, good tolerance and ease of dosing.
Among the shortcomings usually mention the high price, and in some reviews there are complaints about the lack of effect. In addition, when taken orally, many note the unpleasant taste of the medicine, and it is not easy for an infant to do an enema.
Replace "Pyobacteriophage" can other drugs based on phagolysates. After determining the type of pathogen, staphylococcal, pyocyanic, dysenteric, intesty, and other bacteriophage can be prescribed to the child.
More information about bacteriophages - in the video below.