"Vicks Active" for children: instructions for use
Cough, runny nose, sore throat and other unpleasant symptoms that cause influenza and acute respiratory viral infections can be eliminated with the help of the “Viks Active” product line from the well-known company Procter & Gamble. They are represented by several drugs designed specifically to combat colds and flu.
The most popular of all medicines included in the “Vicks” line can be called "Vicks Active Balsam". This ointment, applied externally, helps to eliminate cough and nasal congestion, as well as reduces pain in the throat. In children, "Balsam" can be used for chafing from 2 years.
Its main components are camphor, turpentine oil, levomenthol and eucalyptus oil. Additionally, cedar oil, white paraffin and thymol are added to the preparation in order to receive a white-yellowish, fragrant ointment. The product is sold in packs of 25 grams. and 50 gr.
However, there are other equally effective means in the “Vicks Active” series of drugs.
- "Vicks Active Sineks". This vasoconstrictor spray is used from 6 years of age. It is sold in glass vials containing 15 ml of a colorless transparent liquid. The active component of the solution is oxymetazoline at a concentration of 0.05%, and the excipients are benzalkonium chloride, aloe vera, sodium citrate, cineole and other compounds.
- "Vicks Active Expectomics". The action of this mucolytic in the form of effervescent tablets causes acetylcysteine. Tablets containing 200 mg of this substance are prescribed to children older than 2 years, and the drug with a dosage of 600 mg from 14 years. The drug is sold in plastic canisters of 10–20 round white and yellow tablets that smell of lemon. Among their inactive components are povidone, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, aspartame, and so on.
- "Vicks Active AmbroMed". This expectorant is sold in bottles containing 120 ml of syrup with strawberry flavor. Its main component is Ambroxol in the dosage of 15 mg / 5 ml, and its auxiliary ingredients are flavoring, sorbitol, propylene glycol and other compounds. The doctor can prescribe it to a child of any age.
- Vicks Active SimptoMax Plus. The effect of this drug on cold symptoms is associated with a combination of paracetamol, guaifenesin and phenylephrine. The drug is produced in portion bags, packaged in a box of 5-10 pieces. The contents of the bag is a white and yellow powder that smells like menthol and lemon. The drug can be given to children over 12 years. Recently, the manufacturer changed its name to "Vicks Anti-Flu Complex", that is, it is the same medicine.
- "Vicks Active SimptoMax". Such powder in bags, also called “Vicks Anti-Flu Max”, contains paracetamol and phenylephrine, but it is not used in childhood.
The reason to assign a child "Vicks Active Balsam" is inflammation in the airways, in which there is a feeling of nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat and cough. Sinex is prescribed for any type of rhinitis or sinusitis, and Expectomedic tablets or AmbroMed syrup are prescribed for respiratory diseases when sputum is very viscous and does not separate well. “SimptoMax Plus” bags are used to reduce body temperature, eliminate chills, body aches, cough, fever, headache and other symptoms of ARD.
The use of "Vicks Active Balsam" is prohibited with pertussis and bronchial asthma. Apply the drug on the skin should not be, if the surface is damaged or inflamed.This medication is not used if the baby has false croup or has a tendency to broncho-or laryngospasm. It is also not prescribed if the cough is wet or chronic.
Spray "Sinex" is not used for atrophy of the nasal mucosa, hypersensitivity and angle-closure glaucoma. Vicks Active Expectomics and AmbroMed are contraindicated in children with phenylketonuria and gastrointestinal ulcer.
The use of "SimptoMax Plus" is prohibited in severe liver pathologies, diabetes and in some other cases.
When using "Vicks Active Balm", an allergic reaction, bronchospasm, severe tearing, redness of the skin at the treatment site or laryngism can occur. With all these symptoms, you should immediately wash the ointment from the skin and stop the treatment.
After spraying the drug "Sinex" may appear dry or burning sensation in the nose, sneezing, feeling of congestion, swelling of the mucous membrane. Expectomed tablets and Ambromed syrup can cause allergies or unpleasant symptoms of the gastrointestinal tract. After taking the diluted "SymptoMax Plus", nausea, dizziness, poor appetite and other negative symptoms may occur.
Instructions for use
The method of administration, treatment regimen and dosage depend on the medication used.
- Rub "Vicks Active Balsam" recommend twice - four times a day. If the baby has a stuffy nose or runny nose, then the remedy is applied to the chest. For pain in the throat and cough, rub the ointment into the neck. In addition, if the child coughs, you can rub the back of the medication. Duration of use of "Balm" - up to 5 days.
- "Vicks Active Sineks" sprayed into the nasal passages 2-3 times during the day. If a child is from 6 to 10 years old, then one medicine is injected into each nostril with one touch, and for patients older than 10 years, 1-2 injections are recommended. When using the spray, do not throw your head back or lie down. The course of treatment should not exceed 7 days.
- Means "Eksktivomed" taken after meals. The tablet dissolves in one glass of water, and the resulting solution should be drunk immediately. The medicine is given 2-3 times a day at such a daily dose: 200–300 mg for babies 2–6 years old, 400 mg for children 6–14 years old, and 400–600 mg for patients over 14 years old.
- For children under two years old, Ambromed gives 7.5 mg twice a day.. If the child is from 2 to 5 years old, then the remedy should be used in the same single dose, but three times a day. From the age of five, syrup is prescribed at 15 mg, and give it twice - three times a day.
- "Vicks Active SimptoMax Plus" use 1 sachet every 4-6 hours, but a maximum of four times a day. To dissolve one powder, use 250 ml of hot water. Means give no more than 5 days in a row.
Terms of sale
All preparations "Vicks Active" are non-prescription drugs, so they are sold in pharmacies without any problems. Their price is influenced by the dosage form and the size of the package. For example, 50 gr. the balsam needs to pay about 320–360 rubles, for one bottle of the drug “Sinex” - about 230–270 rubles, and for a bottle of “AmbroMed” - 250–290 rubles.
All “Viks” series medicines should be stored at temperatures up to +25 degrees in a dry place. The expiration date of the balm is 4 years, spray in the nose and SymptoMax Plus powder is 3 years, Ambromed honey syrup and Expectomed tablets are 2 years.
About preparations "Vicks Active" there are many positive reviews. "Balm" is called an effective tool that facilitates breathing, relaxes and eliminates cough. Among its minuses mention only the high price, since there are analogues cheaper.
The advantages of the spray "Sineks" include the refreshing effect and long-term effect (up to 12 hours), the drug "Expectomed" - quick help when coughing, pleasant taste and convenient shape.
Replace the "Vicks Active Balsam" capable of other local preparations used for rubbing. The doctor may prescribe such ointment:
- "Pulmeks Baby" - from 6 months;
- Suprima Plus - from the age of two;
- «Dr. Mom Phyto" - from 3 years;
- "Doctor Theiss Evkalipt" - from 3 years of age.
Other medicines based on oxymetazoline, for example, Afrin, Noxprey, or Nazivin, can be used instead of Sinex spray.
Expectomed tablets will be replaced by another drug with acetylcysteine, for example, ACC or Fluimucil, and AmbroMed will be another ambroxol-based medication, for example, Ambrobene or Lasolvan.
Coldrex, Maksicold or Fervex can be used instead of Simptomax Plus.
About the drug Vicks Active Symptomaks Plus, see the following video.