Morning toilet newborn
While the new-born person is in the hospital with his mother, the morning hygienic manipulations are carried out by the medical personnel of the obstetric institution. And far from every maternity hospital the nurse has enough time to teach every mother all the techniques and techniques for holding a morning toilet for the baby. And this is not as easy as it seems. Parents understand this on the first day after discharge. How to organize the morning toilet of the newborn, we will tell in this article.
Why do you need it?
The skin of newborns is very thin and tender, it is more susceptible to adverse effects. In babies, local immunity is not developed, and therefore any bacteria and fungi that cause severe skin diseases can hit the crumbs at any time if they are poorly or insufficiently maintained. The mucous membranes of the eyes, nose - the most important protective barrier against viruses, but because healthy shells additionally protect the crumbs. But they are also very vulnerable at this age. And with improper care, rhinitis can develop, conjunctivitis.
Due to the imperfect process of thermoregulation due to the age, newborn babies sweat more, especially their head and neck. And sweating is fertile ground for the development of bacterial and allergic diseases. Most of the possible negative consequences can be avoided by correctly and daily spending the morning toilet crumbs. Simple manipulations will help keep your baby healthy and well-groomed.
List of required
For everyday exercise, a child who came with the mother from the hospital will need a lot of different things.
You can take care of their purchase even before the birth of the child, but if you didn’t do it for some reason, it’s not too late to buy everything you need right after discharge.
The main thing is to have on hand a memo - cheat sheet with a detailed list of toiletries and auxiliary things:
- Bucket. The newborn should have its own separate container for warm water, which will be needed for washing. After each use, this dish is best disinfected. Bucket it is advisable to buy a plastic, small volume, suitable for mom's hand.
- Oilcloth. It will be enough to buy a small special children's hygienic oilcloth, which has the structure of "quilted". On the usual smooth oilcloth baby will be cold and unpleasant.
- Cosmetic oil. For a newborn, you can buy special baby oil labeled "hypoallergenic". But you can do with ordinary petroleum jelly, high-quality peach or apricot (they are usually sold in pharmacies).
- Baby cream. You can buy the usual children's cream, but you can with the addition of chamomile extract or a series. The task of this tool is to moisturize dry skin.
- Cream under the diaper. Such a remedy differs from children's cream in that its task is not to moisturize, but to dry. Accordingly, it is used where the skin is "wet".
For the same purpose, you can purchase powder.
- Gauze. It is not necessary to buy a large cut of such material, for a newborn it will be quite enough to buy several packs of bandage. The main thing is that it is sterile. From his mother will make some sterile gauze wipes.
If you do not want to bother with bandages, you can buy ready-made packaged gauze napkins all in the same pharmacy.The requirement is the same - sterility
- Vata. If you choose the usual medical cotton, then the mother will have to spend the evening in order to wind the turunda necessary for her morning procedures in an infant beforehand. You can buy cotton pads (pharmacy version of them), because of such material turunda and flagella twist faster and more convenient.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Sold in the pharmacy. The desired concentration is 3%.
- Zelenka. Brilliant green solution - aniline dye. You can buy it at any pharmacy. The required concentration of the solution for infants - 1%.
- Furacilin. It is best to take the drug in pills. It is more convenient to dissolve and dispense it for external use.
- Cardboard box. Suitable shoe box. When making manipulations, it will be possible, without distracting from the child, to throw away everything that has been used and is no longer needed. This is convenient, so that later not to collect turunds and diapers with napkins on the floor and changing table.
- Disposable diapers. It is necessary to prepare them for the morning toilet in the event that parents do not object to wearing such a hygienic means.
- Manicure scissors. It is not necessary to use scissors from my mother's cosmetic bag for trimming the child's nails, since they have very sharp tips, the baby can be injured. It is best to buy special children's scissors with rounded ends.
- Hairbrush. For a newborn, it should have small non-sharp teeth. You can buy a special brush for combing babies instead of a comb. Sold in pharmacies or children's stores.
- Thermometer. Mercury or electronic thermometer to buy for a child - the choice of parents. Electronic measures temperature much faster, and mercury - more accurate.
Make a morning toilet is always about at the same timeso baby used to it. The algorithm of actions must be strictly defined. After washing away the priests do not need to touch the eyes of the child, and the reasons for such precautions are quite understandable. Therefore, the main rule is from top to bottom.
The hands of the mother or the person who conducts the procedure must be clean and washed with baby soap. But you should not go to extremes and treat them with alcohol or other antiseptics, there is no need for this. The surface on which the child will lie must be sufficiently rigid and level. It is not so important that it will be - a changing table, a regular table or sofa, the main thing is that the surface should be clean, that everything should be covered with oilcloth, and on top - with the ironed diaper (to avoid childish "surprises" during the procedures).
If there is a changing table, it is undoubtedly very convenient. A woman does not need to bend down, because after birth it is quite difficult. But it’s absolutely impossible to turn sideways or back to a child lying on such a table. Falling from such a height often leads to sad consequences and severe head injuries. To think that the crumb is still small and is not going anywhere, it is not worth it. Newborns are well able to swing arms and legs, and this is a convenient way to lose balance and fall from a height.
Starting the morning toilet is always necessary with a general examination of the child for rashes, inflammations, diaper rash. To do this, the baby is stripped, carefully examined, the temperature is measured.
Pediatric doctors advise every day to measure the temperature of the child in the morning at least in the first three weeks of his independent life.
Then the baby is washed with running water without soap. To prevent stool particles from reaching the genitals and causing inflammation, it is necessary to flush the baby with movements from the front to the rear, and not vice versa. This rule should be assimilated by the parents of the girls, but the parents of the boys should also adopt it.
It is not necessary to wipe a child with a towel, his skin is very sensitive. It is quite easy to blot her with a diaper or soft towel.After that, you can proceed to the main "program".
A baby comb gently comb the baby's hair, trying not to damage the scalp. If the hair tangled, it is better to cut it. If crusts are visible on the scalp, do not peel and cauterize them.
Crusts are best left for evening bathing, soak them in oil and gently comb before bedtime.
Care for the eyes of a newborn is a crucial moment and you need to take it seriously. For washing the organs of vision, you need to prepare a weak solution of furatsilin (no more than half of a furatsilina tablet per cup of warm boiled water). It is impossible to treat the eyes with cotton wool, since small fibers of cotton wool can get into the eyes and cause an inflammatory process.
For eye treatment, you must use cheesecloth. For each eye, use a separate piece of gauze. It is impossible to process both eyes with one napkin. Gauze should be dipped in a warm solution of furatsilina, squeezed so that it does not drip and gently hold over the eyelids (the child reflexively closes his eyes) in the direction from the temple to the bridge of nose. For repeated movement use a new napkin.
If there are crusts or pus in the corners of the eyes, you must first soak them, and only then carefully remove them. A napkin with pus or crusts is immediately thrown away, it cannot be used further. In general, the presence of pus in the morning is not characteristic of a healthy baby.
If there is a noticeable accumulation in the corners of the eyes of the discharge for several days in a row, you should invite a doctor to rule out conjunctivitis or dacryocystitis (obstruction of the nasal duct, which is very common in newborns).
Using cotton swabs to clean the ears is a parental crime, because they can easily traumatize the eardrum, and cotton particles from the tip of the wand can remain in the ear and cause an inflammatory process. It is best to clean the ears with cotton wool. The procedure should not be carried out daily, there is no great need. It is quite enough to process them 1-2 times a week.
Movement should not be deep, it is enough to clean the outer ear, without affecting the middle part of the hearing. Cotton flagella moistened with the same warm solution of furatsilina, squeeze out, so as not to drip, and gently rotate the ear canal and auricle with rotational movements. If from the ears visible discharge, pus, serous fluid, be sure to call the doctor, not waiting a day. This may be a sign of otitis, which is also quite widespread among newborn babies due to the physiological features of the auditory tube.
Unlike ears, a child’s nose should be cleaned daily. To do this, use wadded turundami. For the left and right nostrils use a separate flagellum. Flagella slightly moistened with vaseline oil. If not, you can use the plant.
If there are dry crusts in the nose, they should be soaked first and then removed. In general, the presence of crusts is a sure sign that the child is hot or he breathes too dry air. Normally, nasal mucus should not dry out. Parents should adjust the temperature and buy a humidifier. The best parameters for a newborn are no more than 20 degrees of heat and relative humidity at the level of 50-70%.
Here the mum will need the dipper, which we recommended to include in the list of items necessary for the toilet. Boiled water is pre-poured into it, it is cooled to body temperature (usually it is 37 degrees, since this is the temperature that prevails in babies of the first month of life). In water, moisten a cotton pad or gauze cloth, squeeze and gently wipe the forehead, nose, cheeks and chin without strong pressure. We must not forget about the chin neck and the space behind the ears.
If the child has a rash on the face, you can wash it with a solution of furatsilina.When pustules appear, be sure to invite a doctor and consult with him to exclude pyoderma and other bacterial and viral diseases.
No pimples and blisters on the face of the child do not squeeze out. The same applies to the wen, which in babies are the norm.
The nails of newborns are very sharp and they grow incredibly fast. Therefore, once every 2-3 days should check their length. In order for the crumb to not scratch itself, you need to carefully trim them with children's scissors with blunt ends. After cutting, fingers should be wiped with furatsilina solution.
Skin folds should be processed twice - in the morning and in the evening. A more thorough procedure should be in the evening, after swimming. In the morning it is enough to examine them, wipe them with a napkin moistened with boiled water. Then they are allowed to dry in natural conditions, leaving the child naked for several minutes, after which, if necessary, treated with baby cream, if the skin is dry or powdered, if it is excessively wet.
Drugs like "Bepanten»Should be used only when inflammation is found in the folds of the skin - with prickly heat, with suspected diaper dermatitis.
The technique of processing the navel does not imply wool, because its fibers may remain in the wound. Gently tweezers should hold a small gauze pad. Hydrogen peroxide is dropped into the wound and it is waited for the crust to be soaked if there is one, after which the navel is gently soaked with a swab. The edges of the umbilical wound are treated with green paint (for this you can use cotton swabs).
It is important not to hit green paint on the wound itself. If not all crusts are soaked off, nothing should be torn off.
Memo to parents
Some important rules:
- Do not hold toilet on an empty stomach, if the child is hungry, then calmly do everything necessary with mom just will not work. It is best to schedule the procedure in half an hour after the morning feeding. However, this can be difficult, as newborns fall asleep after eating. There is another option - wake up the child for half an hour before the upcoming morning feeding. He will still not be so hungry and will be able to safely endure the time before eating.
- Morning treatments rarely cause delight in an infant. Typically, children do not like to wash the nose and eyes. Gaming techniques, affectionate song, rhyme, funny sounds will help make parental actions more enjoyable for the baby. The child will begin to perceive the toilet as a game.
How to carry out a morning toilet to the newborn, look in the following video.