Orvirem for children: instructions for use
With the onset of cold weather, influenza viruses quickly spread to susceptible people, primarily children. Antiviral medication is often prescribed to prevent illness or treat the flu, if the virus has already penetrated the children's body. Among them in great demand Orvirem. How does it act on pathogens, in what dose is discharged to children and what, if necessary, is replaced?
The only form of release of Orvirem is syrup. One bottle made of dark brown glass contains 100 ml of the drug, represented by a thick, viscous liquid with a light red or pink shade. The taste of the solution is sweet, reminiscent of strawberries, but there is also a slight bitterness.
The active component of Orvirem is a compound called rimantadine hydrochloride. Its amount in 1 ml of syrup is 2 mg, that is, in a teaspoon of medication (5 ml), rimantadine is contained in a dose of 10 mg.
Additionally, the drug includes sugar, food coloring, water and sodium alginate. These substances give the solution a syrupy consistency and a sweet taste. There is no alcohol in the composition of the medication.
Orvirem has antiviral activity, especially against various flu viruses (in particular, against strains A2).
This effect is provided by the ability of rimantadine to prevent the transfer of genetic material from virus particles into infected cells, as well as the release of multiplied virus from cells. This interferes with the reproduction of viruses and reduces the number of pathogens.
If syrup is used in the first hours after the onset of clinical symptoms of influenza or 2-3 days before the onset of infection, the risk of developing the disease decreases, and if the flu does show up, its symptoms are less pronounced and the course is alleviated.
Greatest effect It is noted in patients who started taking Orvirem in the first 6-7 hours after the onset of symptoms of infection. In some patients, the drug has a therapeutic effect even with a later start of therapy (up to 18 hours after the onset of symptoms of the disease).
Orvirem is prescribed for the flu - both for the early treatment of such an infection and for its prevention.
The drug can be used in children who have come into contact with a sick flu, for example, were in a children's team, after which some children fell ill, or someone from their relatives living in the same house with a child fell ill with the flu.
At what age is it allowed to take?
Syrup is prescribed to children older than 1 year. The use of Orvirem in infants is prohibited. If the child is already one year old, the medicine can be given to him without fear.
Orvirem not used if the child:
- There is an acute liver disease.
- There is a pathology of the kidneys.
- Revealed thyrotoxicosis.
- There is hypersensitivity to any component of the syrup.
If a child has epilepsy, the medication should be given under the supervision of a physician, since the risk of an attack occurring during treatment with Orvirem increases.
Since the composition of the drug includes sugar, it is important to take into account if there is diabetes in a small patient.
Occasionally, after taking Orvirem, a negative reaction of the digestive system occurs in the form of pain, flatulence, loss of appetite, nausea and other symptoms.
In some children, the drug causes an allergic reaction. It is also possible the appearance of weakness, insomnia, headache and other manifestations of the negative effects of the drug on the central nervous system.
Instructions for use and dosage
Before each use of Orvirem, a medicine bottle is recommended to be shaken so that the syrup ingredients are distributed evenly.
Dispense the drug with a normal teaspoon, which holds 5 ml of syrup. Take the medicine after meals, and if the child asks to drink the syrup, it is best to use plain water.
The treatment regimen depends on the reason for using the medication.
If the medication is given to a sick child, then it is prescribed a 4-day course:
- On the first day The syrup is given three times in 10 ml for children of 1-3 years old (only 60 mg), 15 ml for children of 3-7 years old (only 90 mg) and 20 ml for patients of 7-14 years old (120 mg).
- On the second day the frequency of administration is reduced to two times, but the single dosage remains the same, so a child of 1-3 years old receives 40 mg of a drug per day, a patient of 3-7 years old receives 60 mg, and a child older than 7 years old receives 80 mg.
- On the third day reception is used the same scheme as in the second.
- On the fourth day the drug is taken only once in a dose of 10 ml for children 1-3 years old (20 mg), 15 ml for patients 3-7 years old (30 mg total) and 20 ml for schoolchildren and adolescents (40 mg total).
If the medicine is prescribed for prophylaxis, then it should be drunk 10-15 days once a day in a dose of 20 mg for babies 1-3 years old (10 ml) and 30 mg for children older than three years (15 ml). From the age of 7, a prophylactic single dose is 4 spoons (20 ml).
In cases where the excess dose of syrup has had a harmful effect, the manufacturer does not mention.
Interaction with other drugs
- Treatment with Orvirem is not recommended to be combined with the use of antiepileptic drugs, since rimantadine will reduce their effectiveness.
- If you take a syrup with enveloping, astringent or adsorbing drugs, the absorption of rimantadine will decrease.
- Sodium bicarbonate and other substances that acid urine, increase the efficiency of Orvirem, as they interfere with its excretion by the kidneys.
- If you give syrup along with paracetamol or acetylsalicylic acid, the maximum concentration of rimantadine in the blood will be lower.
Terms of sale and storage features
The drug is available on prescription and costs an average of 280-320 rubles per bottle.
Keeping the medicine at home is important out of the reach of children. The optimal storage temperature is up to +25 degrees. An unopened vial is stored for 3 years from the date of issue. After the first use of the drug shelf life is not reduced.
After each use, the neck of the vial should be cleaned so that the syrup remaining on it does not crystallize. The bottle cap must be screwed tight.
On the use of Orvirem in children with influenza or for the prevention of this infection there are many positive reviews. In them, mothers confirm that the drug helped to avoid the disease after contact with the virus or eased the course of the disease.
The form of syrup is called convenient, and the price is affordable, but many kids do not like the taste of Orvirem, as it leaves a bitter aftertaste. The drug is transferred, according to the parents, mostly good. Only in rare cases does a child respond to components of the syrup with allergies or other adverse symptoms.
In negative reviews, mothers complain about the weak effect of the medicine, the absence of a measuring cup or syringe in the package and the presence of dye in the composition.
Orvirem may be replaced by another antiviral drug, for example:
- Rimantadine. Such capsules and tablets include the same active compound as Orvirem, but due to their solid form and higher dosage, they are prescribed for children over 7 years old.
- Amixin. These tablets containing tilorone act on the viruses of herpes, influenza, hepatitis and other pathogens. They can be prescribed from the age of 7 and are often used prophylactically to prevent SARS and flu in the winter-spring period.
- Kagocel. Such antiviral pills stimulate the production of interferon and are in demand for lesions of herpes viruses, influenza virus and other infections. Children are prescribed this medication from the age of three. It is also allowed to be used for prophylaxis, for example, if a child of 4-5 years attends kindergarten during the season of ARVI.
- Arbidol. Such a drug has an immunostimulating and antiviral effect, therefore it is used in the treatment of rotavirus infection, influenza, ARVI and other diseases. It is represented by coated tablets, powder for preparation. suspensions and capsules. The drug with a dosage of 50 mg is allowed for children over 3 years old, and a dosage of 100 mg has been used since the age of six.
- Ingavirin. These capsules have not only antiviral action, but also anti-inflammatory activity. They have been used since the age of 13 in the treatment of parainfluenza, adenovirus infection, influenza and other infections.
- Ergoferon. Such antiviral resorption pills also have an anti-inflammatory effect. The drug is prescribed to children older than six months and the smallest patients tablets are dissolved in water. There is also a solution Ergoferon, used in the treatment of children older than 3 years.
- Tsitovir-3. This sweet syrup is effective against flu viruses and other ARVI pathogens. Like Orvirem, it can be given to kids older than a year.
It is important to clarify that Orvirem, its inexpensive counterparts and other antiviral drugs can help cure the flu faster or prevent its development, but they should not be used uncontrollably. All pediatricians, including the famous doctor Komarovsky, warn about this.
Doctors focus on the fact that at high temperatures, coughing, pain and other signs of ARVI, first of all, you should not run to the pharmacy, but show the child to the doctor.
In this video, Dr. Komarovsky will talk about antiviral drugs.