Child development at 5 months
In the first year, the development of the baby is very rapid. Crumbs are constantly happy with new skills and small achievements. A five-month baby is very different from a newborn toddler. What did the baby learn by the age of 5 months and how can parents stimulate the development of a baby in 5 months?
- The body of the baby in 5 months becomes proportional, and the muscles are significantly strengthened.
- Child's vision continues to evolve. From the look of the little one, neither fixed nor fast moving objects escape. Also, the kid likes to look at the pictures.
- In a child of 5 months saliva is quite abundantly released, which is not only associated with the upcoming teething, but also helps to clean the mouth, as the baby almost all items that fall into its pens pulls into his mouth.
- The chair of a child who is fed only with breast milk can be both frequent (5-6 times per day) and rare (once in 2-5 days). Babies who are fed a mixture or started to receive complementary foods usually defecate 1-2 times a day, and their feces are more dense and have a strong odor.
- Urination at 5 months of age are normally up to 15 times per day.
Hypertonus inherent in newborns usually passes completely by 5 months of age.
In the fifth month of life, the child adds about 700 grams, and his height increases by an average of 2 centimeters. The girth of the chest begins to prevail over the head circumference.
Each baby develops at its own pace, but experts have determined the average indicators typical of most children of a certain age. Having learned them, you can find out whether the child is growing normally and whether additional consultation of doctors is needed.
The boundaries of the norm and average values for 5-month-old infants were collected in the following table:
The average value of 5 months
Boys in 5-6 months
Girls 5-6 months
What baby can?
- The baby has mastered coups on his back from a position on his tummy. Now the child himself chooses the position in which he will study the world around him. Some babies have started to crawl. While they are trying to move on his stomach, actively turning over the legs, as well as roll.
- The baby can already sit, but only with support (for example, in a highchair). At the same time, the back of the baby is bent, so doctors do not recommend leaving the 5-month-old baby in a sitting position for a long time. If you hold the baby under your arms and put it on a solid surface, you will notice that the child will stand on straightened legs.
- The crumb man freely controls his pens and is able to both grasp and hold objects with both hands for a long time. Offer the child to take a toy and see how the crumb grabs it with a pen. The baby will carefully study the subject and may be so carried away that it will spend up to 10-15 minutes with the toy.
- The karapuz already knows mother and other people with whom she often communicates.He briskly responds to manifestations of attention from loved ones and distinguishes the tone with which they communicate with him. The strangers, on the other hand, cause a completely different reaction in the child, mostly alert.
- Baby's speech is active develops and is a long lasting chilling. In the sounds uttered by the crumb, it is already possible to note a certain intonation that the child copies from the parents. Some babies already pronounce not individual sounds, but syllables.
- Karapuzu really likes songs and poteshki from my mother's mouth, which is manifested by stormy fun. The child is able to express negative emotions just as violently, for example, when they took a toy or put it in a crib, and the child still wanted to talk with the mother.
- The kid became interested in eating adults. He looks at the plates of mom and dad, and if parents like the idea of pedagogical feeding, this behavior may be a reason to begin familiarizing the baby with the first portions of the new food.
You can do the exercises shown in the next video, following the method of O. N. Teplyakova, an expert in intellectual development.
Classes for development
- Take about 10 minutes a day at the gym. because it will help the baby to strengthen the muscles (especially now it is important to strengthen the back of the baby) and learn how to manage your own body. Spread the baby's arms to the sides and cross them on the chest, then pull the baby by the handles to give him a sitting position. After that, move the baby's legs, turn the baby on the belly and work out in this position.
- To stimulate crawling, place a bright toy near the child. so that the baby could not reach her hands, and was forced to try to crawl a little. Under the legs of the toddler substitute the palm, from which the child can push.
- Massage to 5 months of age is a bit more complicated. The body of the baby can now not only stroke and rub, but also pinch, knead and twitch.
- Continue to practice fitball because it not only helps the development of the muscles and the vestibular apparatus of the child, but also improves the digestive function. Also great benefits for the development of the baby have classes in water - in the pool or in a large bath.
- When purchasing new toys for your child, show your child how to handle them. Let the baby see that the ball can be rolled or thrown, the pyramid rings can be scattered or folded, and the teddy hare can be petted or hugged. Do not forget about the safety and purity of all the toys that you give to the little one, because the crumb will surely taste them.
- While you are awake, constantly talk to the baby, so that the child heard new words and your intonation. Often call toddler by name, and showing photos of relatives, be sure to pronounce their names.
- Talking to the peanut voice, lean over to the ear of the baby and speak a few words in a whisper.
- Communicating with the baby, suddenly stop and make your face motionless. The baby will be surprised, and then try to make you talk to him again.
- Play with a baby in a game that can be called "up and down." Raise the baby and say "up", then say "down" with a different intonation and lower the baby.
- Come along with the baby to the big mirror, so that the child sees not only his own, but also your reflection and can compare them. Even if the baby does not understand that this is only a reflection, he will like to see himself and his mother in the mirror.
- Do not miss the opportunity to do exercises for learning to sit and crawl and while swimming, after all, it is much easier for a child to move in the water. When wiping the baby after the bath, call the parts of the body of the pet that you touch.
- Play with the baby in the "ku-ku", using different variations of this game. You can cover your eyes or eyes of a baby with your hands, hide your face under a towel or diaper, hide behind a cupboard or even hide a toy under a blanket. No less interesting to the baby and the game of "ladies" or "magpie-crow".
- Suggest baby to look at pictures of animals. and call the beasts and imitate their voices.
- If possible, make or buy a cloth book for your baby, On the pages of which there will be different applications, lacing, buttons, Velcro. Such a thing will help in the development of the child's sense organs.
- You can introduce toddler with finger paints. Put the baby handles in jars with bright colors and leave marks on the paper. This will certainly cause positive emotions and crumbs, and you.
- On a walk and during household chores, sit the baby in the sling. From it, the baby will be able to observe all your actions and the world around you, while simultaneously feeling your warmth and protection.
During the massage, it is better to use the toes: so both you and the child will be more interesting.
To learn how to massage a 5-month-old baby, see the video of Nikolai Nikonov, the leading doctor and massage therapist in Russia.
In the first period of wakefulness of a 5-month-old baby, hygienic procedures familiar to the child are performed. The face of the baby is washed, the eyes are wiped, and the nose and ears are cleaned as necessary. In addition, the baby needs to regularly cut off the marigolds, as they quickly grow.
At 5 months of age, the child continues to do daily gymnastic exercises and massage. It is also necessary to bathe the baby every day, especially since the baby really likes such evening procedures.
A crumb of five months stays awake for about 2 hours after each sleep, sleeps three times a day for a total duration of up to 5 hours and about 10 hours at night. Many 5-month-old babies stop waking up at night for feedings.
Walking with a child of this age is still recommended twice a day - in the morning and in the afternoon. Often, babies during such walks no longer sleep, but view the world around them. The duration of walks is determined depending on the weather, for example, if it is rather cool or a light rain, you can walk with your baby for only 1-2 hours, and in warm summer weather in the shade of trees you can spend with your baby up to 6 hours a day.
If a 5-month-old baby is exclusively breastfed, there is no strict feeding regimen. The crumb sucks during laying down on a dream, and also after waking up. The peculiarity of feeding at this age are frequent interruptions - any rustling or noise can distract the baby. Complementary foods for children who receive only mom's milk are not introduced at the age of 5 months, provided that the baby is healthy and the amount of milk in the mother is sufficient.
A bottle-fed baby has a strict regimen of meals, providing for 5 feedings at 5 months of age, with 3.5-4 hour pauses between them. The total amount of the mixture for crumbs is calculated based on the weight of the infant (it is divided by 7). Next, the daily amount of food is divided equally by the number of feedings. On average, a 5-month-old baby receives between 900 and 1000 ml of the mixture per day, eating about 160-200 ml of food at a time.
Number of products feeding for babies on artificial feeding and infants, which began to introduce the lure before the indications, increases. Babies are given not only vegetables and porridge, but also fruit purees, as well as vegetable oil.
It is very interesting to communicate with a 5-month-old peanut, because every day new skills and many positive moments can bring with such a baby.Each baby will have an individual mode of the day and is determined primarily by biorhythms of the toddler, however, to understand how the day with a crumb of 5 months looks like, we offer the following mode of the day for a baby of this age:
Awakening for the first feeding (breast milk or formula), hygienic procedures.
The first day of sleep.
Awakening for the second feeding (babies-artificials give porridge), the period of wakefulness.
Walk and second afternoon nap in the fresh air.
Returning home, awakening for the third feeding (the baby artificially gets vegetable puree with vegetable oil).
Waking period, educational games.
Walk and third nap in the open air.
Returning home, awakening for the fourth feeding (in the children of artificiality, it includes fruit puree and a mixture).
Period of wakefulness.
Bathing, fifth feeding (breast milk or formula), laying down at night.
Breast-fed babies are applied to the breast several times, and the artificial children can additionally receive a portion of the mixture around 00:00.
What exercises with the baby contribute to crawling, see the following video.
- Falls. Due to the increased mobility to leave a five-month baby can not for a minute. At any moment the crumb can make a revolution and end up on the floor. If this does happen, calm the baby and watch the baby's behavior. For any warning signs, seek medical attention immediately.
- Capricious behavior due to the beginning of teething. Many 5-month-old babies begin the process of the appearance of the first teeth, bringing them considerable discomfort. Offer the little ones to gnaw special teethers, and you can also use gels with anesthetic and cooling effects.
- Problems with the stool after the beginning of the introduction of complementary foods. In many babies, the first samples of complementary foods cause changes in the stool, both liquefaction and compaction. Most often, the crumbs who have tried the lure appear constipation, especially if new dishes are introduced into the children's diet too early. The appearance of constipation often leads to an early acquaintance with protein and dairy foods complementary foods, as well as insufficient fluid intake. When constipation occurs, foods are excluded from the children's menu and monitor changes in the stool. The return of the dishes that provoked constipation is carried out very slowly and in small portions, and if the stool is compacted again, their introduction to the menu is postponed for several months. Read more about this in the article about constipation with the introduction of complementary foods.
- Insufficient weight gain. A breastfed baby should add at least 500 grams per month. If the weight of the baby has changed by less than 0.5 kg in comparison with the indicators at 4 months, this may serve as an occasion to supplement or start the introduction of complementary foods.
- The presence of hypertonicity or reflexes of newborns. At 5 months of age, such signs indicate neurological pathology and require examination and consultation of a neurologist.